What will your child learn about math and numbers in kindergarten? What will he or she be expected to know at the end of the kindergarten year? Different states and even different schools may have slightly different goals, but this list can provide you with an idea of what you can expect your child's kindergarten teacher to focus on.
Numbers and Counting
- Recognize and write numbers (anywhere from 0-10 to 0-30)
- Name ordinal numbers first through tenth.
- Show sequencing to 20
- Demonstrate 1 to 1 correspondence to 20 by pointing to each object as it is counted
- Count to 10 by 2’s
- Count to 100 by 1’s, 5’s, and 10’s
- Count backwards from 10
Sorting and Classifying
- Create sets and sometimes label them with the correct numeral
- Join and separate sets of objects into equal groups and/or into sets of 0-10 or 0-20 (sometimes also asked to label sets with correct numeral)
- Sort and classify objects using one or more attributes such as position, shape, size, color, number of corners, etc.
- Identify half versus whole
- Separate whole to parts and back to whole.
Shapes and Graphs
- Recognize and draw the five basic geometric shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle, oval)
- Identify, copy, create and extend patterns of three objects
- Make and interpret graphs
Measuring and Comparing
- Use nonstandard objects, such as pencils, blocks, and hands, to measure length, volume, and weight
- Compare quantities by estimating, weighing, and measuring
- Compare measurements and correctly use the terms shorter, longer, taller, heavier, warmer, more, less, etc.
- Demonstrate understanding of positional relationships (above, below, more, less, top, bottom, before, after, middle, left, right)
Time and Money
- Identify coins (penny, nickel, dime, quarter)
- Count coins
- Tell time to the nearest hour
- Recite the days of the week and months of the year in order
Adding and Subtracting
- Add and subtract to and from 10 using manipulatives (items that can be picked up, such as pieces of candy)
- Do simple addition and subtraction problems to 20