1. Health
Carol Bainbridge

First Signs My Child was "Different"

By February 13, 2009

My son did not begin speaking until after he was two years old.  Since he was a preemie, I had worried about his development and was relieved when he finally began to speak. It wasn't long before my relief turned to wonder.

It wasn't long before my son starting pointing out letters and saying their names: A, B, C, D.  He was always intrigued by letters and numbers and starting grabbing my finger and leading me to letters and pointing to them.  He wanted me to tell him what the letters were called.  I was fascinated.

Being a curious person, I started doing experiments to see what this little guy could do.  I discovered that he could recognize "McDonald's" and "Burger King" and "Cheerios."  Recognizing environmental print like this is an early stage of reading, although it's not really reading.  It's more like recognizing a symbol than reading or even recognizing words.

One day, we were driving to a friend's house a couple hours away from home.  As we were waiting for a red light near our destination, we heard a little voice from the back seat, "Bank."  Bank?  Where did that come from?  I looked across the street and there was a bank.  We didn't have a branch of that bank at home, so that couldn't have been recognition of environmental print.

Then I started writing down short words and asking him what they
were.  I wrote down  M-O-M and showed it to him.  He said, "mom."  I
was stunned.  I had no idea how that child knew that!  He was a big fan
of Sesame Street, so maybe he saw that word on the show.
Still, I was pretty amazed that he would be able to recognize it,
assuming that's where he learned the word.

My son was just two years and three months old and had been talking for less than three months!  Now he was recognizing words.  I should add that I didn't read much to my son before that point.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He simply wouldn't sit still.  He was completely uninterested in being read to.  Clearly, I had a different kind of child on my hands.

When did you first realize that your child seemed a bit different from other children the same age?  Click on the "Comments" link and tell us your story!

Read more about my journey.

Comments
February 13, 2009 at 8:52 pm
(1) ginger says:

One of the first signs I remember from my oldest child’s development is her spelling her name out loud without looking at it. May not sound like a big deal, but her name is 9 letters long, we had never worked on, “How do you spell your name?” & she was only 2 years old at the time. She one day just looked at me & told me she knew how to do it. And she did. I was really amazed. This, from a child who didn’t really talk until she was 2…Like you I was concerned about her language development until she decided to speak–in 10 word compound & complex sentences. (I started counting the # of words because I thought I was exaggerating at one point!)
She’s (nearly) 12 now & continues to surprise me in many ways. When she was first placed in gifted classes, she was so frustrated with herself because she couldn’t “get it” as fast as the other kids. Now, she helps the ones who feel that same way. I hope that she is getting the best of both worlds from our local school where she is in both gifted & advanced classes. She is also in the band & plays basketball & softball. I want her to be challenged & well-rounded. And I want her to know that all children are special in some way; not that her gifts are better than others.

February 14, 2009 at 2:24 am
(2) Carol, Gifted Kids Guide says:

I bet you still remember that amazement you felt. It’s like you can’t believe your own eyes and ears! It’s difficult to keep our kids feeling good about themselves without that feeling being at the expense of other kids. It sounds like you are doing a good job of it!

February 15, 2009 at 7:23 pm
(3) Beverly says:

My son worries about everything. He wont eat meat because it is an animal. We had an incident when he was 2 1/2 when we went to eat at a root beer and hot dog stand. I told him to sit down and eat his hot dog and he looked at me and said, “There is dog in this? I will not eat it.” We told him it was not dog, it was pork. Then he said, “Like porky pig? I will not eat porky pig!” And that was it. No more meat. This is hard for us to accept because in our community we live on farms, we raise meat, we eat meat. But not our kid. Everything is a pet, to be loved and NEVER eaten. What kind of kid makes himself a non-meat eater at 2 1/2?

February 18, 2009 at 12:59 am
(4) Carol, Gifted Kids Guide says:

Lots of gifted kids are very sensitive and sometimes that sensitivity makes it difficult for them to eat animals. Sometimes they “outgrow” it when they realize that hot dogs don’t contain dogs and pigs are not like Porky the Pig. Sometimes, though, the kids remain vegetarians forever.

February 18, 2009 at 10:44 am
(5) Heather says:

My daughter did speak early (at 7 1/2 months), but there are two things that are were even more obvious to me: a friend brought her 3 1/2 year old daughter over to play outside and she and my daughter have names that begin with the same letter. The mother said “show your friend how to make the letter ‘H’”. She did and then my daughter wrote her entire name after that…she was only 21 months old. Later, at Christmas time, when my daughter was not quite 2 1/2, we were driving with my parents to see Christmas lights. Our daughter pointed out a display on the left side of the road, to which my dad said, “oh, I missed it”. Our daughter then said, “Don’t worry, Grandpa, it will be on your side on the way home.” That’s really when we were amazed. There are so many things. And, yet, she isn’t in the “gifted” class at her school. In our district, you have to score 98 or above on the assessments, and my daughter typically scores 92 or 93. She has been frustrated over the years, but we keep her engaged in other activities.

February 18, 2009 at 11:58 am
(6) Kenya says:

My son started speaking very early. I didn’t have a clue that kids usually don’t speak that early. However, at his 12 month check up the doctor wanted to check how well he listen etc. She handed him a piece a paper and told him to write so he scribbled and then she said draw a circle and he drew it. She kept doing it because she couldn’t believe he knew the difference. One day riding in the car we stopped at the stop sign and my son said the stop sign was a Octagon. Wow! it scared the mess out me. He’s four now and in home school. I really want to send him to school but I’m afraid. More than anything I want him to be comfortable in his own skin.

February 18, 2009 at 12:18 pm
(7) Tara says:

I love some of the previous comments. First of all, Beverly, my niece was the same way about meat at the same age. Now, at 14, she is still a vegetarian. Very intelligent girl, too.

I also agree with Kenya. It’s so important to help our children be comfortable with themselves. And to the first poster, Ginger – I too try to help my children have a balanced view – that all children are special and that they aren’t “better.” I try to help them feel good about their gifts without feeling superior. It’s tricky, isn’t it?

My first daughter was a very early talker and at 18 months spoke in complete sentences. She could also repeat back any word, and I mean any – we had a friend who delighted in getting her to say things like “Nebuchadnezzar.” At 1 1/2, from the back seat of the car, dh and I suddenly heard, “FRUSTRATED” She was trying to get her shoe on. ;0) So I guess those are some of the earliest signs. She was also an early and fluent from the start reader.

My second daughter didn’t talk quite as early as my first, so I didn’t think of her as an early talker, but she did suprise others with her language development. What first suprised us about her was that at about 20 months or so, she came up to us and handed us a piece of paper. She said, “I wrote my name. I wrote ‘Mommy.’” We smiled and praised her and put it on the fridge, thinking how cute the scribbles were and that she thought she was writing. After we put her to bed, my husband was looking more closely at the paper – he turned it upside down and we realized that she *had* written her name and “Mommy.” It wasn’t perfect, but it was definitely there in the scribbles. She didn’t so much understand how to form each letter, but she had very carefully attempted to write the words. Blew us away. Of course, we saved that paper!

February 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm
(8) FunnyMummy says:

I have twins. When I first noticed that my daughter was different was when my husband and I were in the store looking at appliances and the twins were in a stroller, they were 16 months at the time. I hear a tiny voice from the stroller saying “S-U-B-Z-E-R-0″. Puzzled my husband and I look around to see where she was getting it from and sure enough on the wall was a neon sign that read SUBZERO, talk about shock.

There are many things that let me know my son was a little different. Like his sister, he would read letters on signs all the time. However, the thing that really amazed me is that I would buy them puzzles and after about a day he would have them mastered. I started with 5, then 8, then 25, then 40, and now at 2.5 he can put together a 100 piece puzzle. My dad always gets a kick out of watching him do it.

February 18, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(9) umbzaf says:

My older son learnt to write on his own when he was 21/2 yrs old. My younger one is 19 months, but he has a very good ‘musical memory’. He hears the song once and can recite the whole tune. He also makes his own tunes and we have heard him humming new tunes. We do not watch a whole lot of TV, but the othr day, he grabbed the remote, switched on the TV and the satellite and pressed 808 directly…which is a music channel! I did not know he could rcognize numbers.I guess different kids have different areas in which they excel for giftedness.

February 18, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(10) Heidi says:

My middle son blows me away with what he can do mentally on a regular basis. In retrospect, I had some indication when he was just a baby. The earliest incident happened when he was 11 months old. He was sitting in his high chair, and I heard him start to count. I figured he’d heard his older brother counting to ten, and was mimicking. I turned to look at him, and noticed that he was moving his cheerios across his high chair tray as he said each number. By the time he counted to ten, he’d moved ten cheerios. I remember thinking, “You’re not even a year old yet. How can you understand the numerical value of 7? How can even know that there is a numerical value at your age?”

When he was 2-1/2, he saw a bucket of daisies with a face in the center in a gift shop. He picked up several, and said they were sunshines, and called them by color: pink sunshine, blue sunshine, etc. Sunshine wasn’t the name, it was the category. We couldn’t figure out why he decided they were “sunshines”. 3-4 months later, we put on a Veggie Tales video that we hadn’t seen in 9 months or so, and in one part, one character sits at a grand piano and plays “You are my Sunshine.” On the piano, in a couple of close-up shots, you can see a vase with a daisy that has a face in the center, just like the ones he saw in the gift shop. He quickly made an obscure but logical connection, over months, between visual and musical items that took us a while to figure out.

A year ago, we took him to Disneyland. They’d just begun to do their Christmas parade, which he watched twice. The next day, I picked him up from kindergarten, and he scrambled around to gather all the pictures he’d drawn. When we got home, he laid them out for me. They were numbered 1 through 8, and each one depicted a section of the parade. He explained the whole thing to me. I was amazed, and it looked complete, but I didn’t know if he missed anything. Two weeks later, we went back and watched the parade again. I spent the whole time taking notes on what each section and float looked like. When we got home, I compared them to his drawings, and was stunned when I realized he had drawn all the major parts and in the correct order.

Raising him is a both a priviledge and a challenge, but I am looking forward to it, and enjoying it. I hope I can keep him challenged and motivated.

February 18, 2009 at 3:38 pm
(11) Michele says:

Thank you for all of the posts. It is great to know you are ‘normal’. I have 3 kids with varying abilities. The first time I noticed my middle son (now 10) was different was 18 months. He sees a different world than the obvious – which I have been able to varify everytime. He leaves me so stunned and amazed sometimes. By age 8 we were reading theoretical physics, super strings (it is in his head already), black holes, etc. Lately he has been spouting ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic (none of which he gets from our family). He can speak telepathically and has shown me how. My daughter (gr. 3)can do this as well. It is very cool. I could go on. The journey my kids have taken me on has opened me up to the person I used to be. I feel more ‘awake’ and aware. It can be scary sometimes, but so alive. Studying physics, at the prompting of my son, has connected the dots in my head. I am so grateful for this joyous, challenging and awakening experience. Keep exploring everyone! Our kids do because nobody said not to.

February 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm
(12) kate says:

my daughter is 4 yrs old and i was always amazed by her memory like when she was 2 and half i told her the names of 12 months twice and she recalled all 12 in sequence without missing any. the other day her teacher told me she wanted to learn spanish from her as my daughter is a bog fan of Dora! so the teacher taught her twice and she recalled , she had never heard spanish no’s before. also she makes up songs and sings in rhythm. she can spell out and read 3/4 letter words easily. but i am not still sure if that can be called gifted ?? can someone help?

February 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm
(13) kate says:

The first time when i noticed she was different was when she was 4 months and she was very fond of rhymes and songs so i taught her to sing. and if u told her to sing a song she would start aaaaaaa. and she was always alert at 2 months of age just the good night’s sleep and one 2 hrs nap in afternoon rest of the time she was wide awake. at 8 months she enacted on her fav songs like johny johny , at perfect times she would do yes papa , no papa ,hahaha things.at age of 2 she recognized all alphabets no’s she could say 1 to 100 at 3.she makes up songs and stories and she remembers the smallest of incidents that happened 4/5 months back.she plays all nick jr or other online games on computer she handles it very well and she starts the pc enters password opens IE and types in the game site addresses. plays DVD’s on them. she is a very quick learner and her memory is simply amazing!!

February 18, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(14) Laurie says:

I love reading all of these comments! Our middle child is 7 and we are always surprised at the things he does. Whenever he would “read” a book as a baby–as soon as he was able to handle a board book–he always held the book right side up. If you handed it to him wrong, he would turn it over. I’ve had nieces and nephews since I was 6 and I’ve never seen a kid do that.
He’s been fascinated with numbers and letters since before he was 1. I used to count to five and hold up my hand to show him and later I would count again without showing my hand and he would raise his hand up!
His grandmother gave him a deck of cards just before his 2nd birthday. He had to look at each one and I would tell him the name of the card. He could tell the difference between the face and number cards. He would throw the face cards on the floor and stack the number cards on the couch next to him. When he got to an Ace, I told him, “Oh that’s not a number, it’s a letter.” He proceeded to throw every ace he found on the floor, too.
The first word I remember him recognizing that wasn’t his name was “Texas”. He loved the Texas truck commercials and they would show the shape of the state, too. We thought he liked trucks, but he liked watching the words go by on the screen. He saw the word “Texas” in a headline on the newspaper without any picture of the state or a flag and pointed to it and said it. Really freaked me out because he was a little over 2 years.
He has to watch the credits at the end of movies and again I thought it was the music but it’s also the words running by.
He has been reading (self taught) since he was 3. We did read to him but he never was patient enough to sit still through the whole book. He would get the yellow pages and spell words from it with magnetic letters on the fridge. We have so many sets of letters and numbers, we have a plastic shoe box full of them.
He has cards with state shapes on one side and facts about the state on the other–Capital, state bird, etc. When he was 5 he learned most of the facts especially the capitals. He can name a state just by looking at the shape (even the square states!)without it being in a full picture of the U.S. I couldn’t even get half of them right the first time! LOL
The first day of Kindergarten he memorized all the students names by reading through them once and he wrote them on his paper for his teacher. She couldn’t believe it.
I can’t count the number of times that he messed up our computer when he was 3 or 4 because he knew how to change the resolution or he would change all the colors to high contrast. It would take me 45 minutes to fix what it took 5 minutes for him to mess up! That’s life with a gifted kid! LOL

February 19, 2009 at 1:34 am
(15) Tania says:

I can remember when the penny dropped that my son was different, too. It was at a PIN (parents in the neighbourhood) gathering at our house (this is a group organised by a local healthcare organisation to connect first time mothers with children of the same age with each other). I can’t remember his exact age but he was old enough to be sitting upright but had not yet started crawling (I know this, as the first thing he did when he could crawl was to crawl away from the other children: at 7 he still struggles to get on with kids his own age). The other mums were debating whether the gurgles their babies were making counted as first words when Nicholas suddenly built a wooden block tower 10 blocks high, counting each block in order as he placed them. The conversation stopped dead, every parent stared at Nicholas, not one made a comment. The silence became awkward, then they just carried on their conversation as if nothing had happened (at which point Nicholas took great delight in knocking down his tower).
Another clear memory I have is when he was 13 months, sitting before a Mega Bloks wagon. He was well familiar with the letters of the alphabet by then and was naming them over and over as they appeared on the label on his wagon, when suddenly he turned to me and screamed, “I know what they are, but what do they say!” He was so distressed, he looked as if he was in pain. He calmed down as soon as I told him the sounds each letter made. Ever since then we have found that most of his tantrums (which, if not resolved can last for days)vanish as soon as he gets information with great depth (unfortunately we are not always able to provide it, and he often takes attempts to direct him to find his own information as fobbing off: fortunately when you can provide the information his tempers resolve much faster than other children’s do!)
As a pre-schooler he did not realise silent reading counted as reading and used to say he was just looking at the pictures whenever he was asked if he was reading a book, you could tell he was actually reading as in books with words on one page and pictures on the facing page he was always looking at the pages with the words. At school, even today, he often comes a-cropper by ignoring information available in pictures if there are words on a page as well: it just does not occur to him to look at the pictures unless he has no option (as he must when building Lego models).
Perhaps it is merely a sign of my own inexperience with children, but I found until just recently that I had difficulty coping with other people’s children of the same age as my son. When trying to play with them, or take care of them, I often found myself asking questions about what they wanted or needed only to be met with blank, vacant stares (that I cannot recall ever getting from Nicholas) and feeling panicky because I did not know what to do to communicate with them. Thank goodness my son is who he is! Every time it happened it reminded me to be grateful that my son could understand!

February 19, 2009 at 8:08 am
(16) nav says:

i dont know if my son truly falls in gifted catagory, he is 6+, he was reading self taught by the age of 3, and now he likes reading really hard books, with long difficult words. he started writing his name when 2 1/2 yrs, and since age 2 using comp, and by using comp i dont mean the toddlers softwares. right now he can use microsoft office, uses adobe photoshop to make his own presentations, and has got almost photographic memory.

February 21, 2009 at 10:08 am
(17) Patti says:

I have a similar story with my son who is now 13. When he was two he had a fascination with Star Wars and I cannot tell you how many times he watched it. He used to tell me the names of the videos he held but I had dismissed the idea of reading because of the pictures on the video covers. He brought me a newspaper and told me that it said Star Wars. There were no pictures to provide contextual clues! I knew he was well on his way and we started with Dr. Seuss books. He was a good reader before he started Junior Kindergarten. Funny thing though, the early teachers would not support fostering his emerging skills and one principal asked me if I used cue cards. As if! My biggest piece of advice isn’t just believe in your child but believe in yourself as your child’s first teacher.

April 26, 2009 at 4:55 pm
(18) Cindy says:

My daughter, Emma, was 23 months before she started talking. Like others, I was worried about her hearing and at 18 months, the Dr. ordered a hearing evaluation. They found nothing wrong with her hearing and then told me she was at a 10 month old expressive level, and 3 1/2 yr old cognitive level. Although she wasn’t talking at 18 months, she could point out all the alphabet, numbers past 20, shapes and colors when I asked her. At the time I was teaching kinder and noticed that she knew a lot of things my kids at school didn’t know. Once she turned 23 months, Emma spoke in clear and complete sentences and about 6 months after that, she was reading early readers on her own. I remember the teachers in her 2 yr old class were so amazed that she could read. They would sit Emma on their lap and let her read to the other 2 yr olds. Since then there have been many things that Emma does that just amaze us. She is now in kinder and was tested for our GT program. We were told she has a 150 IQ, so now it is all starting to make sense to us. It is definetly a challenge with her and she keeps us on our toes.

September 14, 2009 at 3:34 am
(19) belinda says:

My daughter is 2yrs&4mos now. She was born with TWO VERY STRONG TEETH . When she was 1 month old, she was able to speak “mama” “lola “. At 4mos, she was able to seat w/o support. At 5mos, she was able to stand w/o support. At 8mos she started to walk. She started to speak at 1yr old. From 1st yr to 2yrs, she did many amazing things like plugging the power supply of TV or RADIO, she always wants to use laptop, she used to copy actions and sounds played in Barney cds. Now that she reached 2yrs, we were amazed when we heard her singing “BAHAY KUBO and LERON,LERON SINTA” AND she even sings it in SOPRANO style . Also, she always narrates “make believe stories” of her own & events happened days ago and knows all the barney songs and during watching she used to tell us what will be the next scene. She always ask questions “why” and “how”. She can go up and down stairs with alternating feet. She opted to eat by herself. Right now, i’m searching for school here in the Philippines for the gifted child so i’ll also be able to know how to deal with her.

September 17, 2009 at 8:51 am
(20) Jackie says:

My son is 21 months old and though still not speaking human language, he knows his shapes very well and can build quite a complex lego structure that resembles a fort. He can do simple puzzles of 5-8. When he watches Sesame Street podcasts, he laughs at the right scenes. He is extremely curious and observant and would notice even slight imperfections. For instance, when we enter a restaurant, he would notice that the painting hanging on the wall is not aligned and he would point at it, run towards it, climb up a chair and fix it. Or when he’s having his snack time in school, he would notice a ping pong ball on the floor, he will stop eating, pick up the ball, put it back in the ping pong ball container, return to his seat and resume eating. I am not sure if he has exemplified giftedness but it is a challenge to me as mom to keep him stimulated. When he gets bored in class, he will deliberately fall asleep.

October 19, 2009 at 11:21 pm
(21) chant says:

I don’t know bc i’m a firs titme mom. But my child shocks me. He is 21 months old and knows all his letters, numbers 1-20, colors, shapes, his birthday, red means stop, green go, stop sign is an octagon,and most confusing to me is how he speaks in complete sentences. The other day he was sitting on the potty (he goes on the potty his choice) and I was sitting with him. He touched my knee and stated as plain as day, “mommy, I like your legs and and your shoes too.” whilke pointing to my sneaker. This is normal talk for him. Is it normal? I’m totally amazed!

November 8, 2009 at 9:51 pm
(22) PMc says:

My son is 13 months old and is an early talker. He
could mimic words at 3 months and began saying words
with meaning at 7 months. He now speaks in 3 word sentences and a few 4 word sentences. What really
blew us away was when we realized that he knew letters and the letter sounds. He has loved to look at books on his own since around seven months and he has always loved to be read to .He has an amazing attention span and is very observant. The most wonderful thing to me is that he is very friendly,
easygoing and really seems to love his family and friends.

November 15, 2009 at 4:31 pm
(23) jenny says:

the boy is 5 and started reading att 22 months and that was the first sign for me. The girl is currently 21 month. She have all her alphabet, upper lower case and letter sound at 20 months. Counts to 20. in English, chinese and Spanish. Know her coloer and some shapes and talks in 4-5 word sentense. I am not quite sure about her just yet as most of her ability seems memorized ability rather than like my son just a little older than where she is now and did big puzzle and read. I guess boy/girl are different???

November 23, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(24) julie says:

Ever occur to any of you that with all these “different” children you have, perhaps they are really just the “SAME”?! Either there are a whole bunch of “different” gifted children out there or we are underestimating the abilities of all children.

February 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(25) nabeela haji says:

my child is very different he did not walk till he was 2 and a half he is nearly 4 years old he has very limited vocabulary he says things in one words he cant say a full sentence he cant dress and undress himself cant put his coat on and still crawls up the staircase he has started nursery and has one to one support hes never had a full nights sleep and sometimes i find him wondering around the house in the middle of the night.he is very different to my 2 other children he is scared of dark places and loud noises.

February 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm
(26) Marcella says:

My 2 year old will be 3 on valentine’s day. Before she was 2, she knew her ABC’s and counting 1-20 and w

May 6, 2010 at 12:13 am
(27) ansevo says:

I agree with one of the previous posters in the comment that kids are vastly underestimated. My son, who is three, can do many of the things that other posters on the board have mentioned. He can do plenty of other things. Thing is, I really don’t think he’s “gifted” so much as he has had opportunities to learn. I’ve spent time with him, taught him, shared information with him. We’ve never spoken to him in baby talk (which to me amounts to little more than “dumbing down” language for a baby. Why? I have no idea). Simply put, we’ve always just appreciated the things that he has been able to do, and encouraged him. By 2 he knew over 100 countries on the world map. Because he asked what they were, and we told him. He has a great memory, I’ll give him that, but it doesn’t mean he’s a genius. He’s a sharp kid who has plenty of opportunities.
I’m not saying that all children would be able to do the things that people have been pointing out on the blog. I’m only saying that MANY MORE children WOULD be able to, if given the opportunity.

May 6, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(28) Pamela says:

Im not sure if my son is gifted but he sure is different .. he can sing songs after hearing them only once, he can repeats tunes and if there are no words he just uses doodada to get the tune spot on. He is attending Speech therapy as he doesn’t talk much but he will sing 5 little ducks word for word pronouncing them perfectly. He is 27 Months. He is also very good at puzzles, I have not had a diagnose on him to see if he has anything special – Im not really sure what to do, So I just sing with him and encourage him to talk to me

May 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(29) Robin says:

This is an interesting blog site! I finally realized my son could read at the age of 18 mos old. I would laugh and wonder hmmm every time he said exactly what was on television or said the names of places when we drove past.
I figured he just had a good memory. But during a visit to my mother I explained to her what was going on. She said “try writing the words on paper and find out if he can read them” and yes he read it all. He self-taught writing, reading, math…I do not know how.
He became an avid reader by age 2 and at age 4 he won a contest by writing a Mother’s Day letter. He is not a protege child but he definitely has a knack with language and numbers. One strange thing he did at age 5 was to identify the residents by “license plate number” along with their names and we lived in an apartment complex. He is a a regular kind of guy, excels in academics and is now 25 years old.

May 24, 2010 at 11:24 am
(30) tasha says:

my daughter charlotte was only 7 months old when she started walking. Then one day about a month later, she looked at me and said “my name is charlotte C-H-A-R-L-O-T-T-E” i almost fainted. I started teaching her to read and by the time she was 1 1/2 she was reading better than her 7 year old brother. now she is 7 and has skipped 3 grades and is still ahead of all her classmates. she enjoys many extra-curricular activities.

July 26, 2010 at 2:45 am
(31) Brad says:

Today my son did something that blew my mind. I was sitting at the computer and I put his new computer next to mine. He wanted to install a new game and I told him I would help. I got sidetracked and saw the screen come up that required the serial number for the software. He began to type in letters and numbers. I went to get the package that had the serial number on it and realized that he had put the entire number/letter sequence in perfectly without the paper. This was a 30 digit number/letter sequence. He had only seen the package about a minute earlier that day. I have been amazed since then. What is this? How did he do it? He is only 7 years old.

September 22, 2010 at 6:12 am
(32) Frances says:

i first suspected my son was highly gifted when I was talking with a friend who had a child of the same age. At 18 months, he could not speak or recognise colours, but my son had been doing both for months and was speaking in complex sentences by 18 months. He is 3 years and 2 months now and is reading.

September 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(33) free says:

Hi. My brother learned to read when he was 18 months old. He read the brand of a frying pan :) Later, we had no idea he knew the numbers, he read moms shoe size. When he was around 1, his favourite toy was the calculator. We would tell him a number and he would press it and be very happy :) He is 4 now and reads everything. Also he doesn’t remember easily. He remembers almost everything. Since he can read, we can take him to a hospital, doctor, therapist or anything. He always knows where we are going and starts crying. He hates them all :) So we can’t get him tested or when he is sick, it really is hard to take him to a doctor.

October 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm
(34) Momof2boys says:

When he was about 10 months old, he would line up and organize his hotwheels by color. If anyone messed up his line, he would have a meltdown. By the time he was 21 months, he could correctly recognize all of his letters and their beginning sounds. He taught this himself. We never worked on it. He is now 4 and doesn’t seem to fit in with other kids his age. He is at least a few years ahead of most 4 year olds in most areas. I still don’t know if he is gifted. Sometimes I think he is borderline autistic, etc. but I do know that he is very intelligent and although sometimes a challenge, he is such a joy!

February 17, 2012 at 1:46 am
(35) Kristina says:

That is amazing that your son could do all that at two. My son however is 18 months and I have been wondering for a while now whether he was different and I am still not sure. You see at six months old he could follow depands,for example we would say do Tarzan and he would beat on his chest and do Tarzan I know that may sound kinda unsignificant,but he quickly learned others he could do and indian and he just started to pick things up very quickly. By 12 months he was saying bits and peices of his abc’s and counting to 10 all by himself. Now he is only 18 months and he knows colors what animals make what sounds says sentences of about 5 words or more. He can also now say his full abc’s as well as the little song at the end of the abc’s and count to 20 alone. I am still not sure at this point if that is normal or not I am a younge mom and this is all new to me. I personaly think it is amazing. He can follow depands like go and clean his room his room could be a huge mess and he can go in there and put everything back exactly the way it was by himself. If anyone has a any feedback that would be amazing cause like I said I am a younge mom and if my child is different I would hate to not know :)

April 10, 2012 at 2:18 am
(36) spanish language classes chicago says:

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site. He used to be entirely right. This publish truly made my day. You cann’t consider simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

August 22, 2012 at 12:52 am
(37) Laura says:

I am enjoying the comments. Not sure if my 3 1/2 year old son is gifted but he is precocious and all around amazement to us all. My cousin, a nurse, was so concerned that he was so “different” from his peers she was scaring us into having him screened for ASD. I am so glad we listened to our pediatrician who assured us he was extremely bright and most likely has a few quirks and took a wait/see approach. I don’t want him labeled and boxed in by society before he gets to preschool.

Here is what I noticed:

- He had a delayed speech -maybe 6 months before the norm
- Could hold a book and knew right side up at 6 months.
- Ran fingers across sentences in the book and read them to us in baby language at 9 months.
- Understood screwball or vaudeville type comedy around 10-12 months. He would watch silent movies and laugh at all the pratfalls.
-Went through a phase at age 2 where he would act out his fav bed time story.
-Could understand emotions and interactions of cartoon characters at 16 months.
-Extremely musical at 2 /12 recorded his first verse chorus verse song.
-He was making connections like having pizza for dinner and then pointing out pizzeria to us on the road at around 15 months.

This week we just discovered he can spell two syllable words and read (3 1/2). He also understands the context – he informed me I could not turn onto a street by announcing “We can’t go in there, it says don’t enter” – was more amazed at the contraction than anything else.

None of this seems remarkable looking at your timelines; I just want him to blossom into who he is meant to be at his own pace and be self confident. Bullying is always mentioned, but in my mind it is just as bad if our kids fall prey to social conformity, and I feel that is what public schools are all about.

I have thought of home schooling but we are trying Montessori first.

September 25, 2012 at 11:14 am
(38) Carrie says:

My youngest son (also my youngest) just turned 2.in June of this year, honestly I.thought hed never talk but right before his 2nd bday he started traceing license plates with his fingers and saying the letters and numbers he still does this he has the biggest fascination with letters, numbers and shapes knows them all by recognition says the letters and makes the sound! I always would jokingly say maybe hes a genius? Idk….all I know is EVERYWHERE we go hes pointing out letters and numbers and gets very.excited! Is this a sign idk what to think……my oldest daughter whos 9 has a learning disability/adhd/epilepsy, my 2nd child is adhd but very bright and my 3rd child whos 3 is quite normal whatever normal is now a days

October 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm
(39) ladada says:

I came on this site bc my child’s teacher told me this morning that my child may be gifted. I thought I would look up some things for a little research. All I have found so far is a bunch of people who are in a competition of whose kid is the smartest and “Look what mine can do”, “No, look what mine can do.” Very annoying. Feed their little brains and see their potetntial bloom. There is no contest.

October 26, 2012 at 2:45 am
(40) Lesley says:

My daughter came to pick up my grandson who is 18 months old and told me that he knew his letters. She said he started crying because his letter H was on the car seat and she was getting ready to put him in the car seat, a foam letter, and so she picked it up and gave it to him. I have an ABC chart on the wall so she pointed to a random letter and I heard, W, A, C, M, H, and so on. I told her that is amazing! He is a smart little guy and loves, books, and any computer, or number game.

November 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm
(41) Maria says:

I don’t think this puts my son in the gifted category, he was able to count to 20 when he was 1 1/2 and I only counted with him twice. He knew his colors by age 2 and was able to identify them with no difficulty (red, yellow, pink, green, purple, orange, blue, black, brown, grey, white and he identifies hair colour, blonde, brunette and grey) . Now he’s 3 and he is identifying his shapes and is also able to identify the shape of Diamonds, Pentagon, and Trapezoids. He learns really quickly and has an amazing memory. I hope this sticks.He surprises me with something new everyday, the other day in the bath tub (I have foam letters and numbers) he identified the number zero and the letters B, Y, Z. I look forward to more surprises.

January 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm
(42) Jacus Aucamp says:

My son was just 14 months old when he pointed at something and said “look there it is”, that was the first thing he ever said and then he started to speak. He only started walking at 17 months, which is actually really late. My son is now 3 and builds the most amazing structures from blocks . Everybody is always amazed at his building capabilities and it goes the same with puzzles, he is a genius when putting difficult puzzles together. He can operate my ipad, even if i move applications into folders to make it difficult for him to find, he will still find them and he knows better then me how to play some of these games. Is he a genius or gifted perhaps? How would i know? I can’t even come up with or even imagine building these structures like he does……My mouth is hanging open….What do you think?

February 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm
(43) Beet says:

My 18month old finds all the words on tins/cans/packets and brings them to me. He goes through each letter and tells me the sound for that letter, sssss, aaaaaa, ttttttt, etc. he knows them all. Weird thing is I haven’t even thought him, he just sits and listens to me whilst I am helping my four year old to read his books.

February 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(44) Carol says:

Hi did you know about hyperlexia?

March 8, 2013 at 11:44 am
(45) Donna says:

My son always had a fascination with numbers. He had a chart with numbers 1-10, and when he was 12 months old you could ask him, “where’s number 5? Where’s number 3?” and he could point to the correct numbers.

He spoke early, and could speak two or three words sentences before two years, but didn’t say many other words. He understood every word on Earth, though! I had about 20 cards with a picture and its word on it, and I would lay them all on the floor. He was only 16 months old, but you could ask “where’s the cat? Where’s the clown? Where’s the rocket?”, and he would bring the card to you.

My son is amazing, and there are millions if examples of his giftedness; but, most importantly, my son is happy, healthy, and kind. I love him so much :)

March 25, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(46) nicole says:

My daughter is 20 months but at 16 months she knew 9 colors, and all her shapes, and body parts head to toe includinf finger nails. by 17 months she knew 1-5 verbally, now at 18 months she could say her alphabet and recognize a-z out of sequence, count to 10, knows 10 colors, and now at 20 momths she began to write out her name on her owm,

March 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm
(47) nicole says:

My keyboard froze on my phone. So now at 20 montjs my daughter is writing her name Ava, suddenly on her own, she has always been a very aware baby and easily frustrated when she isn’t able to accomplish something and will work on it until she does.

She as lso loves to play the piano and can play chords and can walk her fingers up and down the keynoard like an adult. All just by watching her father play.

Its intetesting to read all the comments a relate to a lot.

Everyday is leaps and bounds. Everyone we know says they have never seen a baby like ours so aware and kmowing of so much so young.

March 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm
(48) relieved mommy says:

Thank you so much for sharing this , my son is now 19 months and doesnt speak and doesn’t listen to me he is very hyperactive never sits still , and is really sensitive always crying . But he has known his letter since he was 10 months old and know he knows all of them and can identify them upper and lower case and now he’s starting to say his numbers which is amazing and these are the only things that have his focus , he also wat he’s sesame street and leap frog . I hope to update my post with him finally talking . Thank u so much .

April 15, 2013 at 11:08 am
(49) Missy says:

At age 1 my son just started to crawl and at 2 1/2 he barely spoke. At 3 what he said was only understandable by those who spent a lot of time with him. We were concerned from the beginning that he may be developmentally delayed because he was slightly premie.

He was diagnosed as autistic at 3 1/2. Around that time we noticed he seemed to be “reading” books. His school told us that some autistic children will memorize what they hear and “parrot” it back as if they were reading it. Still, his father would find him alone in his room with an ipad, reading words out loud, some he likely hadn’t heard before. Once he was flipping through flash cards with the names of colors and reading them out loud. Some were less surprising, like red and blue, but he was also just as comfortable with magenta and silver. The “parrot” theory became even more shaky when he ran into a grocery store and read an advertisement sign out loud.

His therapists looked into it a bit more and found that my son, who turned 4 in January, can read. He knows his letters and sounds out words with no trouble. Additionally, they are telling us he seems to have taught himself, and that isn’t the only thing he has figured out on his own. One example is the game Farkle, a dice game his father downloaded on his iphone, and which synched with the ipad my son regularly uses. Since my son tends to hide in his room when exhibiting his more impressive traits, it wasn’t a surprise to find him in his room playing the rather sophisticated dice game, again having taught himself.

My son has trouble in other ways, socially and with the potty for example, but I don’t worry quite so much now. It’s pretty clear that my baby is special, and as he’s proven time and again, he works all of it out on his own, and on his own schedule.

May 6, 2013 at 6:20 pm
(50) Jessica says:

Not my kid- my baby cousin. She and I were walking at a hotel near the beach after swimming in the pool all day. She was a year and ten months old at the time and I had just turned sixteen. As we ascended the stairs to our hotel room I said, “This staircase has one hundred stairs! Let’s try and count them all!” I already knew she was incredibly bright and I was curious to see how high she could go. I was expecting her to make it into the teens, maybe up to twenty at best. Together we started counting, “One…two…three…four…five…” moments later, I stopped counting and stayed very quiet as I listened, stunned, to the little voice continue on…”twenty, twenty one…thirty…thirty five…forty…fifty…” all the way up to fifty nine at which point in time she announced with utter frustration, “i don’t know the word for the number six O!”

I know that Heather’s comment about her daughter is three years old, but I did want to comment on it. If I suspected my child to be gifted based on remarkable behaviors and my child was not performing in the 98th percentile on achievement tests, I would either be concerned about a pattern of underachievement developing or I would have that child evaluated based on my personal experience.

I scored 120 on an IQ test as a child in third grade during an evaluation. I tested as having a moderate relative weakness in mathematical reasoning and a moderate relative strength in language skills. As it turns out, I have both ADHD and an anxiety disorder. After getting on the right meds for my ADHD and taking an IQ test as an adult, it turns out I have an IQ of 136. I spent most of my school years feeling frustrated over my under performance and confused over why people expected so much more from me even though I was making the honor roll…sometimes barely.

It took me a long time to stop being frustrated with myself. If you know your child is gifted and they are not performing as such I caution you to be concerned.

May 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm
(51) sweety says:

Thanks for the blog. My son is 21/2 year old, he hasn’t said any words. He can point to alphabets, some of the numbers. he identifies the primary colors. He is really good at puzzles. Give him any puzzle, he would figure it out. I was amazed to see him learn so many small everyday things. He would come and give me tight hug when I am sad. he understands most of the things I ask him to do. Guess he is jut not ready to talk yet. Yes as some one pointed out, I am happy to see my kid learn so many things by himself but also challenging too.

May 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(52) Em says:

I have had a suspicion that my daughter is advanced for her age, but it is becoming more apparent to me as she gets older. She is 15 months now and has been talking to in sentences like “I do it” “Don’t do that” “I did that” etc for at least 4 months and to be honest I think she has been doing it longer I just felt like it was not possible and that I was just like every other parent thinking that my child was “special”. She was rolling over by 2 -1/2 months, scooting by 4months, and full on crawling by 6 months. She was pulling up by 7months, walking between furniture by 9-1/2 months, standing up and taking steps by 10 months, and full running by 11-1/2 or 12 months.

She understands things you would think were not possible. I was making her a sandwich one day and she was telling me “I do it,” wanting to make it herself, I said “Yes I know, I do it,” (repeating what she said to show I was not ignoring her request), and she said in a very impatient voice “NO, I do it.” I was shocked I looked at her and said “Yes that is what I meant, YOU do it” and she got this satisfied look on her face nodded her head and said “yea”. She was 12 months.

My husband had her sippy cup and was being a tease and acted like he was going to give it to her and then taking it back. She fell for that one time and after that just looked at him like “There is no way I am going to chase you or fall for that again.”

I have honestly felt at times that I am in a twilight zone because this tiny little person is doing things that I always thought were completely impossible for a child her size and age to do. She is proving me wrong on a daily basis.

May 24, 2013 at 1:39 am
(53) Amanda Granger says:

My daughter Annalise is 20 months old and she talks up a storm. She knows letters and numbers and counts. If she see’s a character off of sesame street she will imitate the character and name it. I had her milestones checked and she was given tasks like blocks and kicking a ball and she did all of it while counting. I never let her do those things before. We do flash cards now and she knows most of her colors. When she was a few months old she said hi and I almost had a heart attack! My favorite thing about her is her compassion for animals. She shares her food and gives them a good petting. When she was about 17 months she said “here you go” to the dog and gave him some cheese. Intially I was worried because she skipped crawling and didn’t like other toddlers but she soon began to walk and has many friends who are much older -around five to eight years old. The weird thing has been her ability to do things uncommon things and I don’t know what will happen. For example she and I were laying in bed and she ran across the bed because she saw a baby on the T.V., or she opend the rat cage and was petting the rat. She names body parts and uses a spoon or fork to eat which is nerve racking because Im worried, but she insists, so I gave in. I don’t feel I am pushing her to do things because she want to do them and as a parent It is my job to nurture her creativity.

July 1, 2013 at 9:02 pm
(54) Shwesh says:

This more of a question than a comment. My son is 23 months old. He didn’t really start saying words other than mommy and daddy until he was 18 months old, but for as long as I can remember any quizzing that we asked him he would always recognize and point to the subject, whether it was in a book, outside, or an item in the house. My wife and I were shocked at first that he knew and understood so much, but we did pay it much attention until about 18 months when he still hadn’t learned to say any other words. About after 2 days after we discussed getting his hearing tested he started repeating everything we said (as well as an 18 month old can). So its 5 months later and he knows all of his abc’s, and 1-10. He can say them, identify them, say them in order on his own. By then I started getting suspicious that maybe he is a little different. He knows all his shapes and can say all the basics up to hexagon, octagon, and decagon. The thing that really made me find this site is that about an hour ago, he came up to me with his magna doodle and started going through the alphabet from A-Z (missing a few here and there) and drawing them on the magna doodle. My question is: Do these facts mean he is different, Should I get some kind of IQ test for him. Where do i go from here to find facts and how to accommodate our parenting to constantly challenge him. I am sorry for any typos and/or grammar mistakes! No time to proofread

July 15, 2013 at 11:57 am
(55) B says:

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I had started worrying about my 20-month-old son because he had only a few words, though his receptive language was impressive. Like your son, he wasn’t really interrsted in having me read to him until much more recently. I always referre to my son as a “do-er”. (He started walking at 8 months and has great fine and gross motor skills.)
Within the past couple weeks, he’s started identifying numbers and letters out of sequence. He gets so excited to see them and declare what they are. It just blows my mind!

August 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(56) Lorena says:

Hi everyone, I have a 21 month old daughter that started talking before she was 1, her attention to details and her clear pronunciation is absolutely amazing . She hears things ones and repeats it very clearly. She is now talking in 4 to 5 word sentences, she knows her colors, recognizes ALL the letters of the alphabet, plus their sounds, she counts to 10 and knows all the shapes. I have two older daughters and I’ve never seen anything like this… We are currently working on identifying the numbers and its going so smoothly because her retention is incredible. She is very active loves to explore, over all she is a very fun baby. Now, my question is I feel like I should have her tested so she can start school in a gifted program or is there any thing else I can do to further develop her brightness? I live in miami, fl and everything that I wrote is not even half of the incredible things she can do at her age. Very proud mom :-)

August 13, 2013 at 12:17 am
(57) Sarah says:

My daughter wasn’t talking until 2 1/2. The doctors thought she might be autistic, but she wasn’t. She started talking one day in complete sentences. The first event was when I had my friend watching her just after she had started talking. They had a boar head on the garage wall, and my daughter, being curious, asked what it was. She was talking my friend’s ear off, so she gave her chalk. She drew a bear and a hunter on the ground, thinking it was a bear on the wall. She then proceeded to show my friend her drawing and said, “How do you think the bear feels?” My friend told her she didn’t know and my daughter said, “The bear is very sad.” She wasn’t even three! She also taught herself to read and was writing with both hands at three, but she always wanted to be outside. So strange!

September 30, 2013 at 10:03 am
(58) Maame says:

Hi, I absolutely agree with you that some children are really clever and different from other children. My son is two next month, his speech is not really developed but his memory is very sharp. I do read to him when ever I have the time and what I have been finding about him of late is that, even though he is not speaking he is able to point to letters, animals, colours and so many other things when you ask him. With the environmental prints he is supper with that. Just last Saturday we went out to a shop and on the shelve, there was a toy OWL and Peppa pig. All that I could hear was pe….ppa pig and a constant shout of owl. He is also able to tell daddy where mummy is when they go to the place where I work. There are so many things he is doing now even though he is not talking which is wonderful to watch him do.

October 27, 2013 at 11:30 pm
(59) Mary says:

My granddaughter is barely four years old, and she can recite whole books, word for word after listening to the audio books a number of times. There are a number of stories in the “pinkalicious” story book, and she can recite them all…with a lot of expression. I wonder if anyone knows what type of intelligence this type of gift translates into? What such children are good in as they grow older?

November 13, 2013 at 4:57 pm
(60) Alison says:

This article and the comments are very interesting. We have a son who started reading at 22 months. Now he’s just over 2 and he can read quite well, knows complex shapes like trapezoid and parallelogram, can name all the planets, the colors of the rainbow in order, knows basic addition and much, much more. I’m reluctant to say he’s ‘gifted’ because I don’t know how other children compare (he’s our only child). But other mothers keep telling me he’s exceptionally smart. The thing is – I don’t know what to do about it? We just try our best to keep him stimulated and I teach him as much as possible. Will he be bored out of his mind when he starts school? I wish there was more information on what to do if your child seems advanced.

November 17, 2013 at 6:18 am
(61) Karen says:

Hi, I’ve just stumbled across this page while doing some googling about gifted babies. I am beginning to suspect my 12month old is a bit different – people have always commented on how alert he is from the day he was born; he’s been able to answer ‘where is the…?’ for an ever-increasing list of nouns by pointing since 9 months and now he’s started reading letters. I’m in a pretty big mothers group and haven’t seen other babies do this. I guess I don’t want to be some over-enthusiastic first time mum and maybe all of this is ‘normal’ but i also don’t want to miss signs i should be picking up on! I’m exploring this page but essentially i guess i just want to know what i should be doing to make sure he gets what he needs if he is ‘gifted’. Pointers/advice most appreciated!

December 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(62) Sarah H. says:

I knew my son was “different” when we showed him colors for the first time at 7 months old, before he could even talk, and he could point them out after being shown once. I’m wondering if he knew them before we thought to have him point to them. He’s done everything *very* early, including figuring out how to open our child cabinet locks at 8 months old (which require holding the door open a little *and* pressing a button at the same time (we installed actual locks after that). He can name shapes, even trapezoid and hexagon/octagon at 18 months. And he is super-sensitive to others’ feelings and emotions. He recognizes his written name, and his sister’s name. I am wondering now if he could recognize other words – I never thought to try! He requires a LOT of interaction with other people; he started actually playing *with* other children at 17 months old, as in, handing them a toy and initiating play. Makes awesome eye contact and demands it from others; he follows their faces until they look him in the eye! He moves things in order to climb/crawl under things. He remembers songs and can sing pretty complex songs all the way through. His concentration is amazing; he will often sit with one or two toys for over an hour.

January 24, 2014 at 2:04 am
(63) Your baby can read says:

Hi, We have a powerful, unique and fascinating for you
mothers and fathers, Our system can be an exclusive and sure-fire understanding how to examine process a large number of moms and dads
have used to help effortlessly and also
productively instruct their own youngsters to learn in
the fairly quick time frame : shelling out simply just 10 for you to 15 minutes every day.

Whether your kids is 2 years older, three years older,
several years old, within pre-school, kindergarten,
or even throughout earlier level institution, our system of learning how to examine can help your son or daughter be a rapid and also fluent
audience. We have now the final results to verify the idea!
Simply stop by the web site.

January 25, 2014 at 1:26 am
(64) keri says:

I’m a stay at home mother of two, 2 and 9. With my first child I read to him constantly, did flash cards, attended a learning center and KinderMusic on a regular basis, we played educational games/toys/movies/tv shows, etc. He was always smart. Hit every milestone early. He learns quickly, took advanced classes, always tested well above his classmates, school, state, and nationally. He seems to be an auditory learner. What he hears he remembers. With my youngest son I developed second child syndrome. I have been very laid back. He watches PBS in the mornings off and on while I cook, clean, and other household stuff so our afternoons are our own to do whatever. At 18 months he started pointing out letters on things and saying the correct letters. I thought he was a really good guesser. It never occurred to me that he actually knew his letters. Shortly after his second birthday I found my oldest son’s flash cards of the alphabet. Curious, I flipped through them, out of order, with him and he correctly said them all. I was amazed. I didn’t teach it to him and he spent almost every waking moment with me. I was still trying to get him to sing his ABC’s. Aside from H I J K L M N O P, he refused. No one believed me until they saw it. He was the baby that hit milestones late. Walking, talking, etc. My mother was forever hounding me to work with him more despite my telling her he was fine and he would learn what he needed to when he was ready. At 2, he recognizes his alphabet by sight, he can count to 10 correctly, count objects correctly, knows his colors (red, blue, yellow, white, black, brown, orange, pink, purple, green). Is that normal? I suppose he’s a visual learner. Would that be considered gifted?

February 10, 2014 at 8:58 am
(65) Anna says:

My preemie son is in speech therapy. All of a sudden he has shown a huge interest in letters. He will point out any letter and say it or if you ask what comes after ( ) he will give you correct letter. I bought him an endless alphabet app with lots of word puzzles. After a week of him having the app I was talking to my mom on the phone and I told her how he said “quarrel” the other day because of the app. He goes and gets the iPad pulls it up and finds the word quarrel. I was shocked. I decided to sit down and ask him other words…dizzy, demolish, harvest, X-ray. These aren’t cat and dog and my two year old who barely talks can pick all these words out!!!

February 22, 2014 at 9:37 pm
(66) gracie says:

My I have twin girls. one of my twin girl at the age of two already memorized the Star Spangled Banner and nursery songs among others and also has memorized the National Anthem of New Zealand which is not in English… at three some of her vocabularies are: ridiculous, amazing, actually, calculation, estimation, impressive,convoluted etc. of which she can use in a sentence… she understand the word disgruntled and opine… she has a very wide range of vocabulary… she understands the process of evaporation, condensation, inertia at rest and inertia at motion… while her other sister who was diagnosed with ASD has a photographic memory. We went to the farm and walk through a maze, while us the adults were trying to figure it out my daughter just went here there and figured out the exit… there are so many instances that her memory’s been tested and she just walks through each one like nobody’s business… I believed they must have taken it from their aunts who both graduated magna cum laude… one of their aunts started teaching at the university at the age of 18…

March 29, 2014 at 9:10 pm
(67) deena says:

I understand all u people want your babies to be gifted. As a mother of an intelligent 16 month I too can write a story about an extensive vocabulary and so on. Don’t kid yourselves, it’s only because u teach them…….hello? Kids are sponges!

March 29, 2014 at 9:41 pm
(68) giftedkids says:

Did you teach your child vocabulary words? Is that why you think parents of gifted children taught their children vocabulary words and more? Parents of gifted children don’t have to kid themselves and are well aware that children are sponges. Their kids are like dry sponges craving water. It is often hard to keep up with them. I’m not sure why you came here to tell parents of gifted kids about their children, but since you are, you might enjoy reading some of the articles about gifted children.

April 11, 2014 at 10:01 pm
(69) Robin says:

Hi I don’t actually have a comment. It’s a couple questions that maybe someone on here can help me with. My son said his first two words at 5 months. The weren’t the normal mom or dad but heart and head. Now at 2 he knows all the letters by sight, the sounds they make, shapes, colors, numbers and can pick up on song lyrics after only hearing them a couple times. He als tells me who’s house we are going to blocks away from the persons house. My mom just movef and the second time we were going there he knew who’s house we were going to.. Is this normal? He is my only child and when we’re around other children around his age I try to pick up on if the other children are doing any of this stuff, but I think he is fsr more advanced than the other children. It scares me! ! I don’t want to pressure him but I want ti to keep him stimulated..Help

May 13, 2014 at 12:52 pm
(70) Jennifer says:

I am the mother of 3 children, a 13 y/o girl, 10 y/o girl and finally a 2 1/2 year old boy. My oldest daughter has been deemed gifted by the school system. At a young age she was verbal, could do complex puzzles, learned all shapes, numbers letters early, had a remarkable memory. I thought it was because I spent lots of time with her reading to her and stimulating her mind. Our middle daughter is highly creative and a wonderful writer but not deemed gifted by the school system. Then, I had a surprise pregnancy at 42 and along came our son. He didn’t walk until 15 months and didn’t start really talking until 18 months. Once he began to talk we all realized, that he was different. He has remarkable fine motor skills, an almost photographic memory, remembers peoples names that he just met a week later and beyond after being told one time can speak in long complex sentences, read short words on a page, spell his name aloud, he describes peoples’ emotions by reading their faces, he can do this in pictures in books too, he can subtract and add numbers. He will line up 4 cars and then take one away and say now there are three cars. He has been doing this since age 2. He recognizes complex shapes in his environment -not flash cards of shapes. Socially, he plays better with 4 year olds at the park and can engage them in a imaginative play scenarios. He has musical memory and can remember note patterns and songs and words to many songs that he hears just once. He can separate fantasy from reality in stories. He has wonderful manners, says please and thank you to adults. His attention span is extremely long for a boy. Most of this I am attributing to the fact that he has such older siblings and is around older kids in carpool. He goes to the church nursery and I take him to the local park several times a week. He will begin preschool in the Fall.